In 1882 a city ordinance permitted the construction of bay windows in wood or metal starting with the étage noble and rising up no more than three stories. Oddly enough, the ordinance required that the windows be removable, which accounts for their fragile-looking elegance. These bay windows are located at 29-33, rue Descartes in the 5th arrondissement. The buildings were constructed in 1897.
Bay windows are called bow-windows in French. They are also called oriels in both French and English.
Like our blog? Join us on Facebook!